I was pretty occupied for the last one week, especially when Syahmi was home. He came back with a friend, Ryan. They had to sit for their exam in Sepang. When Syahmi told me that Ryan will be staying with us for one day, my mind started working straight away. Why? Because Ryan is a vegetarian. And I am not an expert vegetarian cook, or rather, I am not an expert cook to be honest. I kept whatsapp-ing Syahmi, does Ryan eat this, can Ryan eat that. I guess the boys must be annoyed with me. Haha, sorry boys. I just had to give my mind some peace! Hihihi.... Finally Syahmi told me, Ryan said, any vegetable will do.
To google vegetarian recipes, I am pretty sure I will end up with loads and tons of recipes which will make me loose my mind halfway through. So I told myself, cook just anything, without any meat in it. And to play safe, I went to the supermarket and get me a bottle of vegetarian oyster sauce. Yeah, that's the trick actually. That sauce makes the dish tasty, at least to my taste.
The first menu I served the boys was this vegetable fried rice. And Ryan gave me 4 out 5 rating. I questioned him, why didn't I get a full mark? Hahaha.... boleh pulak tak puas hati dengan rating orang... ngeh ngeh ngeh... And Ryan said, can't give full marks, so that there will be room for improvements! Hmmm...logic answer... ok, I will accept that.
VEGETARIAN FRIED RICE
Posted by MamaFaMi
3 cloves garlic - chopped
1 small holland onion - sliced thinly
1 tablespoon chillie paste
1/4 bowl diced carrots
1/4 red capsicum - diced
1/4 green capsicum - diced
1/4 yellow capsicum - diced
5 fresh shitake mushrooms - sliced
2 tablespoons vegetarian oyster sauce
salt to taste
2 bowls leftovers rice
scallions - chopped
crispy fried onion
1. Prepare scrambled eggs (eggs + white pepper + a bit of salt). Set aside.
2. Heat a bit of corn oil in a large skillet. Add in the garlic and fry till brown and fragrant.
3. Add in the sliced onion and fry till soft. Then add in the chillie paste. Fry till fragrant.
4. Add in the carrots. Add oyster sauce and the mushrooms.
5. Stir in the three colored capsicums and salt to taste.
6. Add rice and eggs. Stir to mix.
7. Remove from heat and garnish with some scallions and crispy fried onion.
Have a nice day!