Had been wanting to make these spiral currypuffs with sardine filling ever since I watched our First Celebrity Master Chef, Dato’ Fazley Yaakob making them in the Master Chef Celebrity show. After that, Kjee made them too and I said to myself, I just have to make them myself one fine day! And that fine day only came yesterday... hahaha... my 'engine' is so slow! But better slow than never right.
To be honest, I didn't prepare the filling according to Kjee's recipe because I had some leftovers sardine from yesterday's Iftar. I added some boil diced potatoes, dice onion and mix them well. Thaa dhaa... there goes my recycle filling! Nothing goes to waste.... *wink* However, if you wish to prepare the filling, I've posted Kjee's recipe as well. Minta halal ye Kjee...
So, thank you to Kjee and RinnChan ...mmm senyap je makcik ni sekarang, buat apalah tu agaknya.... And also to Dato’ Fazley Yaakob for the inspiration.
KARIPAP PUSAR SARDIN
Posted by MamaFaMi
Ingredients for the FILLING :
Source : Kjee
1 can sardine in tomato sauce
1 Holland onion
3 fresh red chillies
5 bird eye chillie
2 potatoes, cleaned, diced and boil till soft
1. Mince onion and both chilles.
2. Heat cooking oil in a wok and add in the minced onion and chillie, till fragrant.
3. Add in a bit of the sauce and cook for a few more minutes.
4. Add in the mashed sardine (remove the bones)
5. Add in the boiled potatoes and stir to mix. Cook for a few more minutes and add salt if necessary.
6. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
Ingredients for the SKIN :
Source : RinnChan
Oil Dough :
1/4 cup cooking oil
3/4 cup lukewarm water
1. Place the flour in a bowl and add salt.
2. Rub in the cooking oil until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Add water a little at the time till you get a pliable dough.
4. Divide the dough to 10 small balls. Set aside, covered.
Margarine Dough :
1. Rub in butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Make 10 balls out of the mixture by squeezing the breadcrumbs together.
3. Set aside.
To make the spiral skin :
Flatten the oil dough and wrap the margarine dough inside. Let dough rest for 10 minutes.
Using a rolling pin, roll out dough. Slowly roll up tightly into a swiss roll.
Roll from the shorter end of the swiss roll to flatten dough. Slowly roll up from the shorter side to form a swiss roll.
Let dough rest for 10 minutes. Repeat the process until you finished with the rest of the dough.
Cut dough into 4 pieces.
Roll a piece of the cut dough into a circle with rolling pin.
Put 1 tablespoon of filling in the centre. Press the edge together to give you a half moon shape.
Pleat the edges.
Fry till golden brown.
Have a nice day!