I told my neighbour Saerah, that MamaFaMi is in her 'summer mood' now. And the 'flowers' are blooming nicely in her 'garden'. Confused? Well, to make it clear... Mamafami is in her good mood when it comes to cooking and baking!
Yesterday I made two types of cookies, a cake and another lopes recipe. In between, I was in and out of the house and doing house chores as well. Did my laundry, trice! I forgot to take my lunch... no wonder the tummy was playing this 'hard rock' song at 7pm! Hahaha....
I tried baking another sponge cake after failing twice in my previous attempts. I still don't know what went wrong. I was so frusterated to the extend that I think I need to 'mandi bunga'. Hahahaha! Mak Lang Azie felt sorry for me and suggested that I try out this pandan sponge cake. The cake turned out much better. Am I loosing the dreadful spell already? If so, alhamdulillah!!! Thank you Mak Lang and Sweet4ever for the sponge cake recipe. Since it was a pandan sponge cake, I was thinking of transforming it into something nicer (haha... lupa diri jap!). Browse through the internet and landed on WendyinKK of Table For 2.... or More's blog and decided to give her recipe a try. I've made the right choice. Thanks Wendy for the 'makeup' recipe! Though my cake is not perfect, but I am happy! I should have put the first layer at the bottom to avoid that dark line from being so obvious. Next time perhaps.... or will there be a next time????
PANDAN LAYER CAKE
Posted by MamaFaMi
Source : Sweet4ever of MyResipi
150g superfine flour
150g castor sugar
5 eggs (grade A)
15 ml / 1 tablespoon ovalette
5ml / 1 teaspoon baking powder
80 ml pandan (screwpine leaves) juice - I just mixed some pandan essence to 80ml water, stir to mix
5ml / 1 teaspoon pandan paste
a few drops of green coloring (if necessary)
80 ml corn oil or melted butter - I used corn oil
1. Grease the base of an 8" round tray and line with greaseproof paper
1. Place flour, sugar, eggs, ovalette and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Beat on high speed for 5 minutes.
2. Reduce the speed and add pandan juice, pandan paste and food coloring. Beat on high speed for at least a minute or till the mixture is really light and fluffy.
3. Pour in the corn oil or melted butter and fold using a wooden ladle or a spatula.
4. Pour into an 8" round tray and bake for 45 minutes.
5. Immediately upon removing the cake from the oven invert (turn upside down) the pan.
Posted by MamaFaMi
Source : WendyinKK of Table For 2.... or More
(1) 2 cups water + 200gm sugar. Cook sugar until dissolved. Leave to cool down. Do this in advance.
(2) Mix 50gm cornstarch and 1 tsp pandan paste into 150gm coconut milk. Set aside
(3) Bring 2 cups water + 1 tbsp agar-agar powder to a simmer.
(4) Pour in (2) into (3) and cook until mixture thickens and boils. Remove from heat.
(5) Pour (1) into (4) and combine well.
It depends on the mould you use. If you want to assemble it upside down, then put 1/3 of the pandan layer in first, then cake, then another 1/3, then 2nd layer cake and the last 1/3 of pandan layer and last layer of cake.
If you want to do it upright, then cake in first, then 1/3 pandan, then 2nd cake and pandan and cake again and pandan layer.
Chill in fridge till cold and set. Decorate with some icing and dessicated coconut.
Have a nice day!