Search This Blog

Friday, March 18, 2011

Devil's Food Cakes

T.H.E R.A.M.B.L.I.N.G.S

Two days in a row, I had said to myself, I want to take it easy. I want to relax. No hustle bustle in the kitchen. I just want to spend time dating with Miss Philips aka my iron. But it turned out the other way round. Totally opposite! I was again 'flying' in the kitchen yesterday. It all started with a phone call from my aunt. Since my mom is with us at the moment, and since she's at her daughter's place before returning to Johor Bahru today, she wanted to come and visit my mom. And me, at the same time, needs her 'service' to be the 'courier lady' for another aunt in Johor. After speaking to her on the phone, I went straight into the kitchen and there I was till my aunt and her family went back! And guess what, I managed to try 2 new recipes. Just to give you a hint, it's a bread recipe and a cupcake recipe. Not only that, I boldly tried to decorate the cookies (just 2 pieces that is) into the bride and bridegroom theme. I don't really know how they go about doing it. I just did it the way I think I should! Hahaha...












I guess, I must just not say I want to relax again or else, I won't have the chance to date with Miss Philips. So yes... I DON'T WANT TO RELAX...boleh eh macam tu? Ahahahaha....

T.H.E M.E.N.U


T.H.E R.E.C.I.P.E

One of the new recipes I've tried yesterday is this cupcake recipe. Got it from the book that Ida Book4Charity had given to me as a present. Thank you so much Ida for the lovely book. I've tried two recipes from the book and they turned out lovely. For those who are on Facebook, do add BookforCharity Nizida to your friends list and have a peek there. She's selling lots of books, be it story books, cookbooks, DIY and many others. The best part is, half of the profit will go to charity. So, you are not only buying books for yourself but at the same time, you're doing charity as well. Isn't that wonderful!


Anyway, I've made these cupcakes for Iddin, Syahmi's best friend for his birthday. HAPPY 16TH BIRTHDAY IDDIN!

DEVIL'S FOOD CAKES
Source : Easy Cupcakes book

Ingredients :

3 1/2 tablespoons soft margarine
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon soda bicarbonate
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup sour cream (I substitute with plain yogurt)

For the frosting : (I didn't do this)

125g semisweet chocolate
2 tablespoons superfine sugar
2/3 cup sour cream
chocolate caraque, to decorate

Method :

1. Preheat the oven to 180 C.
2. Put the margarine, sugar, eggs, flour, bicarbonate soda and cocoa powder in a large bowl.
3. Using a handheld electric mxer, beat together all the ingredients until just smooth.
4. Using a metal spoon, fold in the sour cream.
5. Spoon the batter into the souffle cups.
6. Bake the cupcakes for 20 to 25 minutes or until well risen and firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

To make the frosting, break the chocolate into a heatproof bowl. Set the bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water and heat until melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly, then whisk in the sugar and sour cream until combined. Spread the frosting over the tops of the cupcakes and let set in the refrigerator before serving. Serve decorated with chocolate caraque.

My method :

Using a wooden spoon, cream margarine and sugar. Then add in eggs, one at a time. Add cocoa powder, mix well. Then add in flour and bicarbonate soda. Finally fold in the yogurt.


Have a nice day everyone!

9 comments:

  1. Salam mama..♥♥♥
    Dah agak dah mcm2 ada kat sini...cupcakes tu cun bangat sih

    ReplyDelete
  2. semenjak 8 menjak ni saya geram tengok cupkek..grrr..

    cantik sampai sayang nak mkn ..haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. tmujanji ngan miss philips tu mngalahkan jumpa dentist kan..x best nyer :))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks delicious. Photos are lovely, bust saya sangat lapar. I hope perkataan saya bertul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mama, Thumbs up!

    1. itu coat & gaun pengantin banyak lawa.....idea idea.
    2. icing atas cake tu very whitelah, mama guna apa?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to Iddin.. ;)

    cupcakes itu sungguh menggoda nyawa..huhuuu..

    mama,sy dah buat gak blueberry cheesetart spt mama buat amik resepi dari blog kak am flora..so yummy2 kan! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love devil's food cake!
    thks for sharing the recipe

    and ur mee goreng makes me drool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ma..
    sedap lor cuppies tu..nak try buat, 1 day..
    & mee goreng tu..paberet tu..

    ReplyDelete
  9. what did you use for the frosting mama? looks yummy. whipping cream saje?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to drop a comment or two... much appreciated... thank you!