Search This Blog

Monday, January 31, 2011

Roti Naik Improvised

T.H.E R.A.M.B.L.I.N.G.S

Last Saturday night, I received a text message on my handphone from Sis Lily Haslina. That time I was fast asleep. I didn't even hear the message came in. I guess I was really tired after a very hectic and busy week. It was at 4 am in the morning that I read the message. Of course I didn't reply immediately! Haha... Sis Lily had told me about the exciting news. Well, exciting to me but maybe not to others. How can I not be excited when the photos that I took myself of my own cooking is published in the magazine. To be precise, Jelita, February 2011. Thank you sis Lily for making all these a reality and I will cheerish this forever......



I can still remember the very first time I saw my food photo in the internet. It was a long time ago when I was still in Malawi. I've tried a bread recipe texted by my sister. And it so happens, the bread turned out good. And my photo, well, at that time, I guess was just so lovely to my eyes! I then showed it to Kak Liza. She had asked my permission to share the photo in Forum Cari. I was reluctant at first but after being persuaded, I finally agreed. And that's the beginning of me being known as MAMAFAMI. When Kak Liza told me that she had posted my bread photo in the Forum, I was soooooo excited. Not only me, but the whole family was excited. First time seeing your own production in the cyberworld! Gosh, that excitement lasted quite a long time! Every morning, I will click on that particular page, just to admire my own photo... hahahahaha... come to think of it, how silly can a person be huh? But yeah, that's me... I am proud of my own work!

T.H.E R.E.C.I.P.E

Remember the Roti Naik that I did before? The one of Puan Asmahan Hanim's recipe. The recipe can be found here'Well, like I said, the texture was lovely, infact everything about the recipe is lovely except for the ghee which is not really to my favour.

So I said to myself, I am going to try baking this buns again and will adjust the recipe to suit my taste. Before trying the new version, I had done a bit of research. I had asked my relative and a Johorean friend, how exactly this Roti Naik Johor supposed to taste like. Thanks to Kak Karimah and Haslinda for helping me out. So, this is what I came out with. And I am very happy with the result.....


ROTI NAIK
Adapted from Roti Naik Puan Asmahan Hanim

Ingredients :

1 cup lukewarm water
1 egg yolk (grade A)
180g sugar
35g shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla
a few drops of yellow food coloring
500g flour (I added more, I think about 100g more or less)
3g instant dried yeast
110g margarine

1 egg + a bit of fresh milk (for egg wash the buns)
a bit of butter for glazing

Bread Maker method :

1. Pour water, egg, sugar, shortening, vanilla and yellow food coloring into the bread maker pan. Top it with flour and yeast.
2. Set the breadmaker to Dough function.
3. Once the dough is just combined, add in margarine. Leave the Breadmaker to continue doing it's job. This process will take about 1 1/2 hour including prooving.
4. Divide the dough into 20 equal portions. Form each into a ball and arrange on a baking tray.
5. Cover the buns and let it rise until double in size (it takes another 30-40 min) Brush the buns with some egg wash.
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200 C 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Once out of the oven, brush with a bit of butter. Place on a wire rack to cool. Keep in an airtight container.


Have a nice day!

31 comments:

  1. mama....kalau xde BM?=(

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama - we should proud with our own task what....nothing wrong right...keep up good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news!! Congratulations... cheq tumpang seronok.
    Letak-la gambaq dalm magazine tu... tak dan nak beli tadi, Jelita kat kedai mamak dah habih.
    Anyway... cheq sangat bangga, kawan2 semua berjaya!!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sister mana yg bagi resepi tu? Ahaks.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. tahniah mama... sorang lagi sifu masak2 masuk majalah!! opsss.. bukan mama yg masuk.. tp gambar masakannya.. kalaulah gambar mama masuk sekali alangkah bahagianya daku... dah lama teringin nak kenal ngan mama ni.. tp tak kesempatan nak bersua lagi...

    ReplyDelete
  6. first time masuk ke dunia blogger..Mama laa yg bg semangat pada intan..x lupa juga Kak Liza..u both been my inspiration back then till now..so MamaFaMi..u deserved all of this more than you know..CONGRATS!! lepas ni intan berpeluang laa beli buku mama pulak utk tambah2 collection? hihihi..MUAH! lap u lah!!
    -nabialishad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salam mama. Lama tak jenguk, bz selalu. Congrats on your entry into Jelita...! Along tumpang seronok... well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wahhh mama glamer.. ekeke.. congrats mama.. btw.. gebussss roti tu..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salam Mama

    Tahniah masuk majalah!...moga tambah maju...tumpang seronok bila sifu2 siber mula terkenal di majalah pula.
    congrat sekali lagi Ma..
    Roti mama mcm biasa gebus.. mengilap...suka tengok.

    ReplyDelete
  10. salam..congrats mama..God fulfill all your wishes what ever you want in your life.. and one of that..ur own work now in jelita :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. tahniah ma... i,m really proud of u n sgt2 suka baca ur entry/ramblings etc dr ur fotopages lagik ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. salam rindu mamaa..waduh dh lama banget x mai sini..mcm2 citer & menu kita dh termiss..huhuu!! bangga sgt resipi mama msk majalah..pasnih nk kena cari majalah jelita lak!! makin glem laa mamaku yg mmg dh sedia glem nih kan..hehe!! congratz ye mama..lebiuu!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations Mama!! Wah, dah glamour sekarang. Firt Mat Gebu and now you. I pun tumpang happy for you. Nanti I balik Malaysia you sign kan autograph yea :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tahniahh mamafami!!!!feewetttt!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mama, muaaahhhhhh!!! Ummi lah orang paling bangga tauuu, tu sebab tepon kacau Mama tdo pagi2 hujan gerimis smlm, kalau dekat nak laga2 pipi, laga body dengan Mama taauuu....Mama, jgn x caya lg tau, you deserved it!! Yesss, hasil jari-jemari, hasil tonggeng2 snap gambar segala, xda assistant kan, kan...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Salam Mama...,
    Congratulations! That was awesome - to be featured in the magazine. Hope that there'll be more articles featuring you, your family and your cooking in printed medias. Well for 2011 alone you'll have another 10 months. There'll be many years ahead...
    The roti naik looks tempting. Another recipe for me to try...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats to you.....your bread here is really Roti Naik !!!!!Luv it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. tahniah resepi masuk mag...jelita lg u hehe

    salam perkenalan...sy dah follow yer

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratz kak...U r rocking! :D

    WOW, roti looks fluffy...uish sedapnya!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Salam Mama, tahniah wahhh dah makin popular mama skrg tahniah..tahniah !

    ReplyDelete
  21. slm mama.. saya CP rspi roti naik mama.. Tq so muchhhh..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Salam Mama..
    Tahniah! Tahniah! Tahniah!..I'm happy for you.. Semoga lebih success dan doakan semoga Naz pun success mcm Mama satu hari nanti..Hahahaaaaa..berangan pulakssss...:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. mama you r awesome!!! walau tanpa rupa mu, roti2 mu buat semua tertawan!! congratulation ma!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Tahniah buat Mamafami. Bukan senang nk dpt peluang masuk majalah mcm ni..Mamafami antara blog masakan terawal yg slalu jd inspirasi sya sejak dulu lagi.

    ReplyDelete
  25. tahniah,nanti nak pi kedai buku la...

    ReplyDelete
  26. mama,

    congrats! U deserve it! mmg mama nye resepi & gambar boleh buat computer basah dek air liur (basi???:D).

    kalau tak dak BM agak2 jadi cun jugak ke?

    ReplyDelete
  27. congrats mama... mesti cari jelita bulan ni..!!! happy nya.. happy sangat mama masuk magazine..

    ReplyDelete
  28. Tahniah mama. Btw, jemputlah ke blog chef. Bolehlah berkenalan n btukar pendapat.

    ReplyDelete
  29. assalamualaikum mama..mama mmg terbaik!congrats :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to drop a comment or two... much appreciated... thank you!