Everything happens for a reason... that's what I told Syahmi in the car yesterday evening when sending him to his tuition class. I guess, that time I was thinking how grateful I am now that I can drive without much fear.
I had my driving licence since somewhere in the late 1980s. Actually I had asked my parent's permission to learn driving soon as I finsihed my SPM in 1983. When I asked abah, abah told me to ask my mom. When I turned to my mom, she said, go ask your dad. So I said to myself... just forget it. After all, I am not the kind that likes to go out of the house, so what's the use of having a driving licence.... hahaha... doesn't that sound something like the Fox and The Sour Grape story! It's only until I've finished college that my parents had offered me to get my driving licence and I didn't fail them. I got through in my first test! And what's more, that day, when it was my turn, I was actually doing a solo performance! Normally there'll be three students to be tested at one time. The slope, the parking and the three point turn. But when it was my turn, I was the only one driving and imagine, all the eyes were on
After I got married in 1991, hubby had asked me to drive his car, a Proton Saga, without any practise or whatsoever, I took the keys and started the engine. I can still remember the first 5 minutes driving the car... how the car 'hiccupped'! Hahaha.... Driving a Fiat and a Proton is a two different thing. One is under the catagory of heavy weight and the other in the light weight category. That explains the hiccup theory! But I drove hubby's car only for two days and after that, I prefer to go to work by bus, where I can just enjoy the ride while cross stitching! Then came the 10 long years of 'Life Abroad', where we were given personal driver. So my licence is just like how my friends use to call it..'Tanggung Kerajaan'. Hahaha... Well, we must enjoy life while we can, right! Hahaha...
But everything started to change when my parents came to stay with us. I was responsible to send my abah to SMC for his dialysis treament, trice a week. Followed by visits to Serdang Hospital to look after my mom who was admitted for a month. These things happened all of a sudden which left me no time to think twice whether I can or cannot drive. I just have to go for it and alhamdulillah, Allah Maha Pengasih Maha Penyayang, I am how I am now. Syukur....
Thanks to my ex-car.....you'll always be remembered and your service is much appreciated.....
Recipe to share today was something that I made on my birthday. The recipe was taken from Madamme Kacip's Blogspot . Thank you Kacip for the recipe which is much enjoyed by us especially my daughter Fatin.
CREAM OF MUSHROON SOUP
Source : Madamme Kacip's Blogspot
2 onion ~ diced
150g fresh button mushroom ~ sliced
2 pieces shitake mushroom ~ soaked and diced (I added this)
2 tablespoons corn flour ~ mixed with a bit of water
1 piece chicken cube
3 cups UHT Milk
salt to taste
1 teaspoon blackpepper powder
1 tablespoon margarine/butter
1. Heat oil in a pot and add in butter/margarine. Add in diced onion and stir till soft. Reduce the heat.
2. Add in mushrooms and cook till soft.
3. Pour in the milk followed by chicken cube. Add in the cornflour mixture. Bring to a boil over a moderate heat, stirring occasionally. If the gravy is too thick, you can add water to make it thinner. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
4. Using a hand blender, purée the soup.
5. Return soup to the saucepan and cook over a gentle heat.
6. Once bubbles appear on the surface of the soup, remove saucepan from heat. Serve with garlic bread.
SUP CENDAWAN BERKRIM
2 biji bawang besar kuning - didadu
150 gm cendawan butang putih segar - dihiris
2 sudu besar tepung jagung - dibancuh dengan sedikit air
1 kiub pati ayam
3 cawan susu UHT
1 sudu kecil serbuk lada hitam
1 sudu besar mentega/marjerin
1. Panaskan periuk dan masukkan minyak masak dan mentega. Cairkan mentega kemudian masukkan bawang yang telah didadu. Kacau bawang sehingga layu dan agak kekuningan. Jangan sampai garing, perlahankan api.
2. Masukkan cendawan dan kacau sehingga terbit air dan cendawan layu.
3. Tuang susu ke dalam periuk diikuti kiub pati ayam. Biar mendidih sekejap kemudian perasakan dengan garam dan serbuk lada hitam.
4. Dengan menggunakan hand blender, blend sup tadi tetapi pastikan jangan sampai cendawan hancur. Blend sekejap sahaja sudah memadai. Biarkan sup mendidih dan pekat, bolehlah ditutup api dan dihidangkan dengan kepingan roti bawang putih.