Search This Blog

Friday, November 28, 2014

Reduced-Fat Chocolate Cake

Last Wednesday was Najib's birthday. Najib is Suryani's youngest brother. Hahaha... macamlah korang kenal siapa Suryani dan Najib kan? Tak apalah, saja nak cerita. Mama kan peramah! When I wished him Happy Birthday via whatsapp, he had asked me for a cake. I told him, cake is not healthy, don't you think so? Hahaha... Najib is very particular with his food intake eversince he joined the Jom Kurus programme. That programme really worked for him not only because it is a good programme but also because of Najib's determination and effort that he had put in. Well done Najib. Keep it up.

That afternoon, after my sister went home, I googled for a recipe under HEALTHY CAKES (does this really exist? Hahaha). I came across plenty of recipes. Ooooo they do exist!!! Hahaha. Chose this one because I have all the ingredients at home except for the raspberries. So I whatsapped Suryani, if she wants to go to Pasar Malam. Didn't mention to her about me baking the cake. She said yes, to my relief. After work, she dropped by my place and we went to the pasar malam and bought some mangos. So that explains the mangos on top of the cake.

Made slight changes to the recipe though. And I must say that the fat in the cake that I've baked is not totally reduced! Hahaha...


REDUCED-FAT CHOCOLATE CAKE
Posted by MamaFaMi
Source : Liz Macri


Ingredients :

1/2 cup reduced-fat milk (I used low fat milk)
1 1/2 cups caster sugar (I wouldn't mind reducing it to 1 1/4 cup)
120g reduced-fat margarine spread (I used buttercup)
1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
2 eggs
Fresh raspberries, to serve (I replaced with mangos)

Chocolate icing :

1 cup icing sugar mixture
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
20g reduced-fat margarine spread
2 tablespoons boiling water

Method :

1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 20cm (base) round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper.
2. Place 1/2 cup cold water, milk, sugar, spread, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Cool for 15 minutes.
3. Add flour and eggs. Whisk until smooth. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Stand cake in pan for 10 minutes. Turn cake, top side up, on a wire rack to cool.
4. Meanwhile, make icing Sift icing sugar mixture and cocoa powder into a bowl. Add spread and boiling water. Stir until smooth. Spread over top and side of cake. Top with mangos. Serve.

Note :
I find the icing a bit too sweet. But the mangos did balace the taste.


Have a nice day!


8 comments:

  1. adussss mama lepas bun chocolate kek pulak ni yg buat tk senang duduk ni asyik nak kedapoooooooooooo r

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kak Noor...cuba gagahkan diri macam kita ni. Nampak gambar, semua teruja. Print bagai... lepas habis print.. semangat pun habis! Hahaha... Tapi semua ni, practise makes perfect! Muahahaha....

      Delete
  2. Mmmphhh!!! Geram! Geram! Mama, I baru lepas lunch tau. You pulak tayang-tayang chocolate cake besor-besor in front of me. I say, how I wish can tekan butang kat keyboard and the cake appear on a NICE PLATE on my desk hee..hee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pun nak HEMPHHHHHH jugaklah. Nice plate eh? Hahaha... ok fair now.
      Kalau you tekan your keyboard keluar the cake, share with me the tutorial eh. I pun nak juga. Nak ambil your M&M cookies... nak rasa :D:D:D

      Delete
  3. glamer suryani tu kan mamafami kan... aka food tester... hikhik :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to drop a comment or two... much appreciated... thank you!