Thank you Saerah, my dear neighbour... Thank you for giving me those lovely goodies from Cameron Highlands. She gave me some fresh sweet corns, some petai, a can of Cameron tea leaves and this.......
This is the first time I see this 'thing' and I was wondering what on earth could this 'twin tower look alike' thingy is. And when she said it is fresh bamboo shoots... err.. okay... now what do I do with this thing. Huhuhu... I had the thought of passing it to my neighbour, Kak Ana and when I asked her, she is no different than me! Clueless as how to go about cooking this fella. Had thought of Kak Nona, hubby's cousin... but then, I was just too lazy to drive all the way to her house. Then I said to myself, why not just accept the challenge. COOK IT! I CAN DO IT!!! Ahaks.... semangat beb...semangatttt!!!!
So who should I 'hassle' to help me in this challenge? Non other than the forever willing online sifoo of mine....*drum roll* CHE MAT GEBU *applause* *applause* He told me how to go about cleaning and slicing this fella till it is ready to use. Then the rest, I just followed what my heart desire... achewa
Moral of the story : Never give up before trying because the sweetness of victory is indescribable!
MASAK LEMAK CILI PADI UDANG DAN REBUNG
(PRAWNS AND BAMBOO SHOOTS IN HOT COCONUT MILK)
Posted by MamaFaMi
20 medium Prawns ~ cleaned
Fresh bamboo shoots
9 Bird eye chillie ~ amount depends on how hot you want the gravy to be
1/2 inch fresh turmeric
Sea salt to taste
Enough coconut milk
1 piece turmeric leaf
3 kalamansi - squeeze to get the juice
1. Clean the bamboo shoots, slice thinly. Place the sliced bamboo shoots in a pot of water and boil with a bit of salt for 10 minutes. Rinse and set aside.
2. Mince bird eye chillie, fresh turmeric, sea salt and shallots to form paste.
3. Place the soft bamboo shoots and the paste in a pot together with thin coconut milk (thick coconut milk + water).
4. Let it boil then add in turmeric leaf.
5. Add thick coconut milk, prawns and kalamansi juice.
6. Leave to simmer just for a while and remove from heat.
Have a nice day!