Search This Blog

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Mandy (Spicy Chicken and Rice)

T.H.E R.A.M.B.L.I.N.G.S

Story 1 :
This morning when I was having my breakfast with a big mug of coffee, I smiled because I can't help recalling Amelia's entry about her boss and the kopi-o. But one thing about you Amelia, that I must salute is that, you have the power to make your boss 'vanish'! Haha.. ini siapa yang boss sebenarnya!

Story 1 :
I've just finished reading IMAN SURAYA ( InsyaAllah I will write the synopsis in my other blog soon), another lovely Malay novel written by my favourite writer Areila Sahimi. I like her way of writing and so far, I've read 3 of her books. Yess Boss will be next. Will pay the bookstore a visit soon! Meanwhile, I've started reading Pretty Women by Fern Michaels. I think it's gonna be an interesting book to read. Just read like a few 10 pages, and I can feel the heat already! Hahaha...

T.H.E R.E.C.I.P.E

Last August, my hubby was introduced to Nasi Arab at Saba Restaurant in Cyberjaya by his friends. My goodness, the first time we dined there, we were like addicted to the food. It was so delicious that we kept coming back for more. And during Ramadhan, we made so many trips there.

So last week, I said to myself, why not I just try and google for the recipe and wallah, I hit the jackpot when I landed at Sister Zainab's lovely blog. Thank you for sharing the recipe with us. I appreciate it very much.

When I served the set for dinner, I didn't expect hubby and Syahmi to enjoy them as the Saba Restaurant's rice is much better. It's not the recipe to be blamed but it is totally me, I made a few mistakes along the way. But nevertheless, to me, I am quite satisfied with the rice. When I asked hubby to comment, he said,"Nasi mama ni sedap, tapi tak sesedap Saba la, tapi sedap" (Mama's rice is nice but not as nice as Saba, but still it's nice). That's the main reason why MamaFaMi never stops trying! My hubby will not condemn my cooking but gave me full support. Thank you dearest....

So here, I present you my not-as-nice-as-Saba-Restaurant's Mandy!


MANDY (SPICY CHICKEN AND RICE)
Posted by MamaFaMi
Source : Zainab


Ingredients :

1 chicken cut into 4 pieces
2 teaspoons mandy mix spice
1 teaspoon salt

3 cups basmati rice
1 tablespoon butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 small tomato, finely chopped and removes all the seed
4 whole cardamom pods
6 whole cloves
6 black peppercorns
4 1/2 cups water or chicken stock

Method :

1. Rub spice and salt al over the chicken, place it in a pan, cook chicken uncover until tender and brown about 40 minutes.
2. Sauté onion with butter until tender and brown, add whole spices, salt, rice, water, stir, boil then add chopped tomato, simmer cover, cook on a very low heat for 20 minutes.
3. Serve it with green salad or yogurt with cucumber and mint.


Homemade Mandy Mix Spice
Posted by MamaFaMi
Source : Meedo via Zainab


Ingredients :

2 tablespoons cardamom pods
2 tablespoons cloves
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 whole nutmeg
1 tablespoon deride ginger*
4 bay leaves

Method :

Blend or process spices together until finely crushed using an electric grinder.

Note :
*Deride ginger (Powdered ginger):is ground spice made from ginger dried root.

Have a nice day!

16 comments:

  1. MF: I have been wanting to dine at Saba. Selalu we all pergi Wadi Hadramawt. Kami pass Saba at Jalan Jelatek everyday. Last nite I suggest kat Unclepali and Nadia pergi Saba bila lalu depan restoran yang now dah jadi lebih besar cos they occupy the upper floor too. Must try next week. tapi ramai kata the food at Saba is better that WH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. auw.... nampak sedap..insyaallah kalau pergi KL bolehla try makan di saba. nak juga try masak tapi takut my hubby will comment "sedap tapi lain kali tak payah masak" heheheh

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one pretty name for a pretty dish.
    Dried ginger eh,hmmmmm... my ginger always gets dried up before I could finish them, so maybe I can grind them for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waaaa...kita pulak x sabar2 nak rasa Nasi Mandhi mama pulak pasni...ok la tuh..pujian ikhlas dr cik abg...tu belum Syahmi n Fatin yg kuar pujian...mesti terduduk mama dia...sbb kena buat lgk...hehehe, Miss you mama cayang...muaaahhh!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sedapnya spicy chicken, can I come over for lunch and drink kopi-o with you? :) ( nanti dapur lintang pukang plak)

    Mama Fami, when you drink kopi-o this morning got ketawa until kopi keluar dari hidung? :)

    Depend on situation, kadang kadang I jadi boss, dia assistance. hahaha...
    Dia punya kerja I "one leg kick all" dari zaman dinosaur, so dia sudah biasa dan malas nak handle janji $$$$$ masuk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm...bila la agaknya merasa nasi mandhy ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. mama,

    ayam looks juicy & sexy...nak tanya sket.

    kat method tu;
    1. place chic in pan & cook uncover :- goreng ngan minyak, without minyak or cook dlm oven?

    cam mengidam pulak, nak try lah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kjee :
    Kita tak pernah pulak pergi Wadi Hadramawt tu. Tapi the Nasi Arab kat Saba memang so far the best. Susah nak describe, tapi memang sedaplah.. You'll just have to taste it yourself and let me know ok... tapi there are chances that we may not have the same opinion kan... :D

    Anyonymous :
    Hihihi... kalau hubby cakap macam tu... sah nak cari penyakit! Nanti wifey boikot masak terus, baru melopong! Hehehe....

    wendyywy @ Table for 2..... or more :
    I'm sure yours will turned out lovelier. Mine, I just hantam only... but then again, never judge the food by my photo! Hahaha...

    Ummi :
    Eh, bukan Ummi dah pernah masak nasi mandhi ke? Syahmi pun tak bagi 5 dia bagi kurang sket... sebab nasi kita tak cantik. Terpecah sebab tergatal terkacau lebih! Hahahaha.... Miss you too Mi... tapi kita tak de mood nak bertonyeh ler... cam malasss je....

    Amelia's De-ssert :
    Haha... cannot lari from your kopi-o eh? Mentang-mentanglah you taukey kopi-o. Haha... don't forget, when coming, bawak sikit itu kopi Batu Pahat, want to rasa macam manalah dia punya sedap. But tak mau banyak sugar, nanti kencing manis! Hahaha... Luckily this morning, I ketawa maintain ayu saja... hahaha...

    Maria :
    Silalah ke Restoren Saba ye... ahaks...

    makcikkantin :
    Sis, I just place the chicken on the grill pan yang ada line line tu. Tak letak minyak apa pun. Tapi kita cheating sikit... kita cover chicken tu sebab tak maulah dia kering sangat. Tapi cover pun, not fully covered la, ada terbukak sikit... sebab tak mau derhaka lelebih... boleh gitu? Ahahaha....

    ReplyDelete
  9. wahhhh...sedapnya mas tengokkk..
    menyelerakan betoiiii....

    ReplyDelete
  10. mama.. buat sendiri ye rempahnya.. ita pernah buat nasi mandy ni tapi nak try resepi ni plak la kalau bahannya cukup sebab sedap nasi ni

    ReplyDelete
  11. alamak...
    mmg tergugat iman..
    mama.. kat kawasan johor tak ada rasanya nie...
    kena pi kl lah jawabnya..
    mama masak ya..
    hehehehhe

    ReplyDelete
  12. perhh sedap tu.. tp sedih kt kedah ni blom jmp menu cmtu..sob3..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mama.... mix mandhi spice ni Tyha beli di kedai arab.Beli saja...tapi x buat2 lagi...hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello MamaFami, women like you can be dangerous to bachelors, ha ha ha....
    I sure love this dish....Da tentu kena longgar the tali pinggang lepas makan.

    That spicy chicken.....mesti makan slow slow, jilat tangan too....I think think yours better than that Kentucky ayam goreng, ha ha.
    Have fun, stay young, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Salam aidilfitri dear mamafami, sudah lama tak ziarah ke mari, bukan ertinya kakmOn melupakan atau 'tak kawan', tapi masa dan keadaan yang tak ingin bersahabat.

    Ampun lagi, sejak kita buat layout baharu, banyak link kawan2 yg hilang. Jadi terima kasih mengingatkan perkara itu yah.

    Pssssstttt awak tetap kawan kakmOn yang hebat. Maaf zahir dan bathin ;)

    Sayang awak
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. cyberjaya dah tak jauh ngan rumah pasni nk ajak en hubby pegi try nasi mandy tergugat iman tgok mama post gambar ni

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to drop a comment or two... much appreciated... thank you!