Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2011

Canned Cuttlefish Sambal

T.H.E R.A.M.B.L.I.N.G.S

Hello hello hello... a very good Monday to all. Hadn't been updating my blog this long weekend because I had such a busy weekend. Now, exhausted and dreaming for a holiday by the sea or on the mountains... boley gitu?

Last Friday, Syahmi asked if he could invite his friends over, in other words, to have an open house. Since he had never asked this before, the father and I agreed. I thought many would turn up, but only 8 came. So we decided to invite our neighbours as well. Unofficially, I had an open house last Friday! We had a lovely time with our friendly neighbours. Thanks all for coming. I do hope all of you enjoyed the dishes as much as I enjoyed preparing them.

On Saturday, we made a day trip to Segamat to attend my cousin, Zuraida's wedding. Congratulations Ida and Najib. Here wishing both of you a life of happiness, cheer, love, laughs, and good times. Amin.

On Sunday, we went to a friend's open house in Desa Pinggiran. We were with them back then in Sri Lanka. And from there, we went to Bukit Mahkota to another friend's house and stayed there till late. Both the hubbys, will have a never ending story when they both meet, once in a while.

While we were there, I received a sad news. My Ayah Long passed away peacefully. May his soul rest in peace. Al-Fatihah...

T.H.E R.E.C.I.P.E

Just because I had told Kak Ana, my neighbour, that I am going to cook sambal sotong dalam tin as one of the open house menu, I was determined to look for the Rex Cuttlefish, by hook or by crook. I went to more than 5 shops to look for this fella. Allah had mercy on me, finally I found it at one of the groceries shops and for a price to pay. The funny thing is, whenever I don't feel like buying it, it's always there, nicely arranged on the racks of the shops that I normally go but when I want it, it's just so hard to be found! Haish.....


SAMBAL SOTONG
Posted by MamaFaMi

Ingredients :

1 onion - sliced
2 garlic - sliced
3 tablespoons chillie paste
a bit of tamarind juice
enough water
1 tablespoon sugar
salt to taste
1 can Cuttlefish in soya sauce (I used REX brand) - shred to small slices and discard the soya sauce
cooking oil

Method :

1. Heat oil and add in sliced onion and garlic. Fry till fragrant.
2. Add the chillie paste. Continue frying.
3. Add tamarind juice and stir. If the sambal is a bit dry, add a bit of water.
4. Add sugar and salt to taste.
5. Add in the cuttlefish and mix well. Leave for a few minutes and remove from heat. Ready to serve.

M.A.N.Y T.H.A.N.K.S

.....to Jid and Taqwa for ordering these brownies together with the fruit cocktail pudding. I totally forgot to snap the photos of the puddings. Hope you guys are satisfied with the taste...



Have a nice day!

18 comments:

  1. Sedapnya sambal sotong, quick & easy and finger licking good. I can eat extra rice with this.

    Monday blue kat JB sini, cuaca dark & gloomy seperti muka boss. Pagi pagi salah bangun cari pasal kopi manis sangat sampai dia kencing manis. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. sedapnye sotong tuh!!!!

    sedap nye kek coklat....

    location...akak dimana ye?

    ReplyDelete
  3. salam mamafami - kuah kicap sotong tu di masak sekali ke?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amelia's De-ssert :
    Hahaha... Amelia... you made me laughlah the way you lepas geram. It's not that I don't pity you tapi the way you lepas geram is so funny. Kopi manis sangat eh? Hahaha... siapa yang bancuh kopi tu? :D Peace dear... jangan marah-marah, nanti blood go upstairs!

    miss scofield :
    Bukan kek coklatlah my dear. It's brownies. Email me ya... mamafami66@gmail.com.

    mala :
    Waalaikumussalam Mala. Kicap tu mama tak masukkan. Mama ambil isinya sahaja.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mama yang dikasihi...:-)
    memang sangat sedap!
    Licin dalam sekelip mata saja, Ma..
    Jid pun sempat rasa seketul jer puding koktail tu tadi. Itupun mujur curi2 mkn masa org baru lepas potong. lepas kena serbu.. memang dah takder peluang nak rasa. nanti jid emelkan gambar orang yg serbu tu yer... :-)

    Ralat: Takwa = Taqwa. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mama, jasamu dikenang. Allah saja yang mampu membalasnya. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salam Mama,

    Itu Rex pun dah tak kenai sotong dia bila jatuh ke tangan mama...kreatif!

    Hmmm, nama mama naik kat rumah makcik.....dah cilok bread pudding...TQ

    ReplyDelete
  8. mama tak pernah makan sotong dlm tin.. tentunya sedap .. nampak menyelerakan betul

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mama Fami, no need to pity me, sudah biasa sebab kopi tu I bancur untuk boss saya dah 20 tahun. Sudah hampir zaman dinosaur. Pakai recipe yg sama, serbuk import dari Batu Pahat lagi. Dia tu sudah menapauselah, Kalau Monday or lepas public holiday ada ada aje, merepek 1 hari hingga saya cari alasan hantar dia keluar office. hahahaha....I pun cakap dia "boss, wait I pension no more kopi to drink. You bancur sendiri sebab orang lain bancur complain macam air longkang."

    ReplyDelete
  10. never crossed my mind that the rex brand squid could be made sambal! What I normally do is to slice bombay onions and garlic, saute, throw in some cili padi and pour the contents plus it's juice. nadia and I like it that way. or maybe I have not done any other way. thnx for the idea MF.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jid :
    Keluar dah ayat-ayat cinta budak ni! Hahaha... Alhamdulillah kalau begitu kekdahnya. Sejukkkkkk hati mama baca. Lega pun ya gak... alhamdulillah. Jasamu pun ku kenang jua Jid... muaahh...

    makcikkantin :
    Waalaikumussalam sis. Kita main hentam je buat sambal tu sebab pernah rasa that sotong dalam tin kat rumah kawan. Tapi dia masak benda lain. So I thought, why not I modify jadi sambal. Ahaks.. Thanks sis for trying out the recipe. Cantik ooo kaler pelangi pudding sis tu...

    Juwita Jamaludin :
    Ita, pada tekak mama ni, rasa sotong tu cam rasa sotong kering tapi lebih lembut.

    Amelia's De-ssert :
    Aiyooo your boss knows how the air longkang taste like ke? Hihihi... peace boss!!!
    By the way, what's so special about the Batu Pahat kopi eh? Sedap eh?

    Kjee :
    Mmm secara tak langsung, Kjee bagi satu resepi mudah ni. Thanks Kjee... who knows I might try one day. Tapi adoiiiiii mahal giler sotong ni. Kita beli hari tu, satu tin kecil, 4 henggettttt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yummy yumyyy... cannot taha tengok itu brownies.. mama, nak terjah umah buleh ka..?? hehee... tunggu...!! mau itu brownies...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mamaaaaaaaaaaaa...keji tau wat open house x panggil kita...kita kalau mama panggil...sedia je untuk shoot dgn kelajuan 140 km per hour...hahahhaha, *muka x malu dah nii.... :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Salam Mamafami,
    nak tanya sikit ni, apasal kalau sy bakar brownies ni tgh die jd membukit tp tepi2 tak naik sekali?...huhuhu mcm gunung berapi la plak....sbb oven ker? bile tgk mamafami nyer elok rata tu menarik sgt...
    hopefully mamafami share ler sikit petua nak nak bg membukit tu yer...
    terima kasih banyak mamafami :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mama Fami, Boss I tu org Batu Pahat, so dia dah biasa serbuk kopi sana. Tak de apa apa special. Dia tu kepala angin punya org tapi jantung tak busuk, hati tak sakit, darah naik upstair aje. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. yesterday Nadia bought 2 tins (small ones). tak sempat nak buat sambal 2day cos, Unclepali dah rembat buat tumis bodoh. 2moro kena beli lagi 4 tins sebab nak buat sambal. I know it's expensive tapi sabar je lah cos it's so sedap!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always has Rex sotong in my pantry for emergency usage. But my family will tumbuk kasar the shallots, garlic and cili padi, saute and pour in the whole content of the can. You eat with rice and some raw vegies...hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sis, kat mana boleh beli loyang yang ada cutter sekali tu? Macam susah je nak cari.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to drop a comment or two... much appreciated... thank you!