BEE HIVE BUNS (Roti Sarang Lebah)
Posted by MamaFaMi
Source : Lydia Honey via Izah
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon instant dried yeast
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup plain yogurt at room temperature
1/4 cup cooking oil (I used Alif)
1/2 cup water (approximately)
Method (my way) :
1. In the mixing bowl, add flour, instant dried yeast, salt, baking powder and sugar. Mix well.
2. Add in yogurt and cooking oil. On the mixer on low speed. Slowly add water. Increase the mixer speed and let it knead till a soft, elastic and shiny dough is formed.
3. Remove for the mixing bowl onto your working sheet. Round it up into a big ball and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
4. Dough could be sticky. Rub your hands with some cooking oil when working with the dough.
5. Divide the dough into 16 small portions. Knead each into a ball shape. Place them evenly in 2, 6inch lightly greased baking tins.
6. Cover the baking tins with plastic wrap and let it proof until doubled in size.
7. Brush the top lightly with the mixture of 1 teaspoon milk powder and a bit of water. Sprinkle with almond flakes and pumpkin seeds.
8. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Oven temperature may differ.
9. Once baked, remove from oven and let it cool.
BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE :
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream (you may use evaporated milk instead)
a pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
25g butter (I used Planta margarine)
Method (my way) :
1. Melt butter/margarine in a small heavy based pot on low heat.
2. Add in brown sugar and stir till sugar disolves and starts to bubble. Remove from heat.
3. Pour in the whipping cream and keep stirring. Be careful. Place the pot back on the stove.
4. Add vanilla and stir to mix well.
5. Remove from heat and ready to use.
1. Please make sure you have all the ingredients near you to avoid this sauce from getting burnt as sugar caramalizes very fast.
2. Use a long wooden ladle to stir the mixture to prevent your hands from getting burnt as well.
To serve :
Pour the sauce onto the baked buns and enjoy. I didn't pour all the sauce onto the buns as I don't want the buns to become soggy. I just pour it when I want to eat it.
Have a nice day!